Software Developer Internship
May – August 2022 (specific dates negotiable)
All Candidates: We are requesting that you also complete our online application at this link to be considered: https://bibletechs.org/join/software-developer-internship/
Department: Information Technology
Location: Orlando, FL: We would prefer to have you work here in our Orlando office so we can better support you, but in certain circumstances we are open to remote interns.
Duration: May-August 2022
Reports to: Director of Project Management and Interns
Peers: Developers & Support Staff
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Who We Are
Wycliffe Associates is a Christian mission organization which trains believers all over the world to become Bible translators and we seek to safeguard the integrity of the Scriptures through that process. We are a group of about a dozen software and infrastructure techs, working at an aggressively growing non-profit that is helping to make the Bible available to everyone, everywhere. God has blessed us with the resources to pay for high performance team-members. Through our work, we serve Wycliffe Associates and our partner organizations for the purpose of furthering the Gospel of Jesus through Bible translation. While specific skills and experience are a major part of this role, what is most important to Wycliffe Associates, and to the Lord, is a person’s heart. The person who fills this role should have a special calling from the Lord for ministry. In this role you are considered a minister of the gospel. For such a high calling, our lives and values should reflect that pure and holy calling. You can learn more about our organization at: https://www.wycliffeassociates.org/. This is the kind of place that rewards intensity, ambition, drive, and creativity.
Who You Are
You are an aspiring software developer who likes to learn and desires to work within a team of developers. You appreciate the challenge of integrating what you know with new products and frameworks. You don’t accept “it can’t be done.” You want working software that is elegant, flexible, extensible, and secure. You take ownership of projects and are proud to sign your name at completion. Most importantly, you want to use your skills to serve the Lord through mission service.
The Job You’ll Do
First, you’ll be a developer. You’ll be supporting business systems and building software tools for Bible Translation. Your work will be used globally. You’ll jump into a fast moving river of existing projects, plus have the space to help create new tools and systems for Bible translators. You’ll be responsible to understand projects at a high-level, then roll up your sleeves and write amazing code. You and your teammates will create solutions so the rest of the organization can focus on raising money, raising volunteers, equipping the nations to translate the Bible, and saving the world. You’ll propel the Bible toward universal availability.
What We’ll Do For You
· We’ll give you a place where you can build things the way you’ve always wanted to, and make a difference in the process.
· We’ll give you opportunities to grow, stretch, flex, and learn.
· Teach and implement Agile/Scrum methodology
· Provide software development experience guided by seasoned professionals
· Create an environment to learn from mentors and each other
· Have you contribute to real-world projects with meaningful impact
· Enable worshipping God through your talents in fellowship with other believers
Job Responsibilities And Duties
· Work with a team to develop functioning software each Sprint
· Submit and review Pull Requests
· Write unit and automated tests
· Capture and document software requirements
· Create and provide estimates for User Stories
· Participate in Sprint and Product planning
· Participate in daily team Standup meetings
· You have experience coding in one or more of these areas
· Front End (Angular, React, or Vue)
· A managed or compiled language (C#, Java, or Kotlin)
· A scripted or interpreted language (Ruby, Python, or Node.js)
· You have used software versioning control (such as Git, Mercurial, or Subversion) in your own projects or when working with others.
Your Education & Experience
· You are currently enrolled as a full-time student with a Comp-Sci Major at an accredited college or university.
· You’re holding an overall GPA of 3.0 or above.
· If you are still in school, you are a Senior.
· It would be great if you had experience with SQL Server databases.
· Even better, if you had prior internship experience.
· Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
· Should sense a call from God to ministry and have a genuine caring for people.
· Should have personal warmth that invites confidence and possess a personal integrity that never forfeits the trust that is offered.
· Ability to be at ease with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
· Demonstration of the attitudes of a servant leader.
· Highly self-motivated and directed.
· Keen attention to detail.
· Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
· Ability to work effectively with a virtual team.
· Can keep commitments.
· Ability and desire to learn new technologies, improve skills, and adapt to change.
Wycliffe Associates makes employment decisions in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws and regulations. As a religious organization, we are entitled to make employment decisions on the basis of religious beliefs and practices of the applicant or employee.
To apply: Please submit all the information requested at https://bibletechs.org/join/software-developer-internship/