Software Developer 2
Software Developer 2
Department: Information Technology
Location: Orlando, FL
Report to: Application Development Director
Peers: Application Developers
Exemption Status: Exempt
Who You Are
You’re a software engineer with a few years of experience under your belt. You’re looking for a ministry that needs your development skills to make a meaningful difference in the world of Bible Translation. You’re happy to add new software languages and frameworks to your skill set as needed. You’re comfortable working in a team, but you’re also happy to take on a project by yourself and work independently to develop and deploy it. You’d enjoy mentoring a more junior member of the team. You have a portfolio of projects that demonstrate your skills.
Who We Are
A group of software developers, dev ops engineers, infrastructure techs, and support people, working at an aggressively growing non-profit that is helping to make the Bible available to everyone, everywhere. God has blessed us with the resources to pay for high performance team-members. You can learn more about our organization at http://wycliffeassociates.org/. This is the kind of place that rewards intensity, ambition, drive, and creativity.
The Job You’ll Do
As an experienced software developer, you’ll be taking on projects that support the needs of translators all over the world. You’ll jump into working on our existing software tools, as well as designing and implementing new ones as needed by the global church. You’ll likely be adding new languages, frameworks, and approaches to your repertoire as you go. And you’ll have the opportunity to mentor more junior software developers. Most important, you’ll be helping to bring God’s Word to Bibleless people all over the world.
What We’ll Do For You
We’ll provide you with the tools and training you need to keep up on your skills, along with a team that challenges and encourages you.
- Paid education and training
- Paid certification attempts (pass or fail)
- Two weeks paid vacation to start, plus a bunch of paid holidays
- Health Insurance for you and your family
- 1 Paid conference per year
Position Summary: The ideal candidate wants to work in a fast-paced, results oriented organization, where focus on providing solid solutions is a must. Responsible for the full software development lifecycle within a team context. Candidate will be responsible for gathering requirements from customers, analyzing customer needs, developing solutions, regular communication and demonstrations to the customer, and ongoing maintenance as needed. Position is primarily focused on external field translation tools and systems.
- In collaboration with the Director of Application Development, proactively develop software solutions to advance Bible Translation.
- Work with internal and external customers/users to identify, understand, and document their needs.
- Software programming: working with teammates and vendors to design, implement, test, and document custom solutions.
- Leverage experience and develop relationships to assist and mentor team members.
- Contribute creativity and energy to the task of accelerating Bible Translation.
Education, prior work experience, and/or specialized skills and knowledge:
- Strong brainstorming and creativity ability. Quickly understand new challenges and respond with possibilities and enthusiasm.
- At least 5 years’ experience developing applications using modern software development approaches.
- Familiarity with design patterns, Agile development, and test-driven development is preferred.
- Experience with web development, including jQuery , Bootstrap, React, and Angular, including familiarity with HTML5 and CSS, a plus but not required.
- Experience with .NET development, especially in C#, a plus but not required.
- Experience with Java and Android Development, a plus but not required.
- Demonstrated capacity to quickly learn new systems, skills, languages, and programming environments.
- Experience with linguistics, Bible translation, or other relevant subject areas a plus but not required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from accredited college strongly preferred. Priority given to applicants with computer science or other related degrees.
- Occasional over-night domestic and international travel required (up to 10%)
Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Should sense a call from God to ministry and have a genuine caring for people.
Should have personal warmth that invites confidence and possess a personal integrity that never forfeits the trust that is offered.
Ability to be at ease with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Demonstration of the attitudes of a servant leader.
Ability to delegate work to others.
Ability to facilitate and coordinate the work of others.
Highly self-motivated and directed.
Keen attention to detail.
Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
Ability to work effectively with a virtual team.
Has reliable transportation and can keep commitments.
Ability and desire to learn new technologies, improve skills, and adapt to change.
To apply, contact Jennifer Cunneen at: